Simon Freeborough - Small Coco Chanels
- A combination of coloured Screenprints, hand cut discs for collage, reacted copper paints, spray paint and Diamond Dust. All on Somerset Satin Radiant White 410gsm
- All unique, from a series of 15
- Released by The Art Hound Gallery at Moniker Art Fair 2019
- 27cm x 22.5cm (Unframed) 30cm x 25.5cm (Framed)
- Framed items are in a white box frame, framed to the edge of the print
- Unframed items available for framing, please e-mail email@example.com after your order, to start your bespoke framing consultation.
Having worked as an Art Director and Creative Director for major publications such as the NME, Freeborough creates art that stems from high design, coupled with both an urban and abstract edge.
The legacy of Warhol looms large in his work, from the exploration of beauty in the disposable, to the delicate balance between luxury, decadence and worthlessness and finally, visual impacts of camouflage, large scale squares and iconography. Blazing the trail of the Pop Art torch into the twenty-first century, his work questions our fraught relationship with luxury and indulgence.
Far more than a simple homage to Pop Art Freeborough’s work offers a contemporary vision of Pop’s original Conceptual ideas in 21st century high definition.
Freeborough’s works have multiple detailed layers of creation and process. A perfume bottle, confectionary jar or doughnut exists first as an actual item in the studio before physical manipulation, such as smashing, after which the item is photographed. When hand worked as a silkscreen the object’s image is then experimentally layered with coloured detail and abstracted pattern. These patterns and forms originate from Freeborough’s personal experiences: walls from visited Sicilian chapels, tree bark textures discovered and even the photographed shapes of foam sliding down a windscreen at the car wash are manipulated and incorporated in multiple layers within the works.
This results in works which are at once bold and immediate, but filled with delicate detail to be discovered.